Fire, as we all know, can be extremely damaging. Not only can it ruin houses: It can also ruin lives. As a home owner, it is imperative that you learn how to properly protect yourself against a house fire. While peace of mind begins with a Red Deer home insurance policy, security begins with proper knowledge. So without further ado, here is how you can prevent a house fire:
1. Make sure that your smoke alarms are updated and work properly. According to the Canada Safety Council, you need a smoke alarm on every level of your house. They also recommend that you test them on a monthly basis.
2. While cooking, take adequate precautions. Did you know that kitchen fires are one of the most common types of fire? Try to never leave the stove unattended while cooking. Also pay attention to items around the stovetop and your clothes as well. You should always keep a fire extinguisher close to the kitchen.
3. Be careful when smoking cigarettes. Remember that a mistake can happen in a fraction of a second. You often hear stories on the news of people who have burned their house down with a simple cigarette. How do you know that it can't happen to you as well?
4. Keep your space heaters in check and away from objects. After cooking, the second most common cause of house fires is heating. Ensure that your portable space heaters have a few feet of clear space all around them. Do not, under any circumstance, place window curtains or any other type of draperies around them.
5. Make sure that your electrical cords are in good shape. It only takes one frayed electrical cord to start a fire.
6. Finally, be careful around candles. Do not leave a burning candle unattended in a room, and ensure that you are using proper candleholders.
Do you have a question related to insurance policies? Click here for more information: www.sharpinsurance.ca.