Malpractice claims ruin careers and leave finances in shambles. As a doctor currently practicing in Calgary, malpractice claims should be one of your biggest fears, and rightly so.
Thankfully, malpractice can be avoided, or at the very least the risk of them happening can be greatly reduced. Here's how you can do so:
1. Be nice to your clients. This is obvious, but you might be surprised how far a smile or two can go. Of course, there will always be disgruntled clients regardless of whatever you do, but remembering to be courteous and always nice to your clients can help prevent a lawsuit in the future.
2. Track everything. As a Calgary doctor, we know that you are busy. But making sure that you track everything is vital to preventing malpractice claims. Take notes, read your client's chart before seeing them and make sure to write down everything that needs to be written down.
3. Follow up. Following up on clients is important. It lets them know that you care about their health and helps prevent a lawsuit dramatically. All it takes is one simple phone call.
4. Make sure that your patients understand. Before letting a patient go, make sure that they fully understand their diagnosis, medication plans and treatment. Misunderstandings can lead to malpractice lawsuits, so be sure that your patient know exactly what you meant when you said something and why you did what you did.
5. Protect yourself adequately. Lastly, this might not help you avoid malpractice claims, but it sure helps you in the event that you are unable to prevent one. As a doctor, never underestimate the importance of Calgary commercial insurance policies, let alone ignore them -- we simply can't stress this enough.