When you are on a motorcycle, how often do you think about staying safe? Hopefully, a lot, and hopefully, you are already familiar with the common practices of staying safe on a motorcycle. But to refresh your memory and to make sure that you know exactly what to do in order to avoid accidents, Sharp Insurance has compiled a list of 5 safety tips for you to go over. Here they are:
- Clear your mind. Just like driving a car while tired, angry or distracted can be fatal, so can driving a bike in those conditions. Before hitting the road on your motorcycle, make sure to be as zen as possible -- but also make sure to always be alert. Good drivers are able to draw the line between those two extremes.
- Don't speed up. We know it's enticing. We know you love the thrill of freedom. But it's not worth it. Follow the speed of traffic and you are already well on your way towards surviving your next trip.
- Practice, practice, and practice more. Emergency braking will happen. How you deal with it will depends on how often you practiced it. Train your body (and your brain) to know exactly what to do in emergency situations.
- Keep your eyes open wide. This is especially important in intersections where the majority of bike accidents happen. Keep your eyes open wide for vehicles and be wary when proceeding through intersections.
- Lastly, stay up to date with your insurance coverage. This might not go a long way towards ensuring your safety on the road, but trust us, remaining on top of your insurance coverage will save you a ton of headaches in the event that staying safe is impossible. If you live in Calgary, plenty of insurance companies such as Sharp Insurance offer free insurance quotes. Make good use of them!