This summer, don't stress. Here is how you can secure your home while on vacation this summer:
- Make sure that your windows are doors are closed properly -- and that they are locked. We just can't stress enough the importance of this step, as simple as it may sound. Doing this will not only prevent thieves from breaking into your home: It will also prevent your interior from water damage in the event of a heavy rainfall.
- Stop newspaper delivery. Temporarily, of course. This will be useful to detract potential burglars as nothing screams "empty house" louder than a pile of newspaper on someone's porch.
- Invest in a timer for lights. This might be the most costly advice on this list, but this is definitely one that you don't want to overlook. Investing in a timer for lights will give thieves the impression that your house is occupied -- something which you definitely want while you are away on vacation.
- Keep your valuables away from preying eyes. This is rather self-explanatory. If you want to take it one step further, lock your most important valuables in a safe deposit box.
- Notify your neighbors of your absence. Knowing that someone is keeping an eye on your home while you are gone is sure to give you extra peace of mind.