Calgary winters can be rough on the morale, and rough on drivers as well. Unfortunately, winter is also the seasons where most road accidents happen. As a result, knowing (and enforcing) good driving habits in the winter months become more important than ever.
To refresh your memory, Sharp Insurance has compiled a short list of winter driving tips in Calgary for you to go over:
- Always keep your gas tank half-full. This is to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Make sure that your tires are inflated. And you know those pesky winter tires? Use them. Also consider purchasing chains if you must.
- Don't warm up your vehicles in an enclosed space. In the morning, take it out of your garage. This could well end up saving your life.
- Be mindful of slippery surfaces. Remember that they can be treacherous... and very dangerous. Keep your eyes on the road and never, ever cruise control on slippery surfaces.
- Remember good driving habits at all times. If need be, brush up on your driving skills. (We're looking at you, new drivers.) Winter driving takes a lot of skills, patience and concentration. Make sure that you are always properly rested and fed before hitting the road in Calgary this winter.
- Lastly, avoid driving in really bad conditions. Of course we know that you have somewhere to go and people to see, but when possible, avoid using your car in really bad conditions... especially if you are a new driver.