- Call your insurance company. This is the first and most crucial step. You should already be familiar with what your Red Deer auto policy covers and does not cover, but in the event that you aren't, calling your insurance company will at least provide you with answers. Further to that, it is important to let your insurance company know about the accident, regardless of how small it was.
- Ask your insurance agent how to go about filing a claim. Be prepared to face a handful of paperwork! Fortunately, most forms can be printed online.
- Provide as much details and evidences as possible. We can't stress enough the importance of this step. The more details you can provide to your insurance company, the likelier to be reimbursed you will be. From the names and phone numbers of people involved to pictures of the damages incurred, don't be afraid to be as thorough as possible.
- Ask questions! There is no question that your insurance agent has not heard before. The more informed you are, the better. Here are two example questions that you might want to ask them:
- When will my insurance company contact me?
- Do I need to get repair estimates for the damage to my car?
And above all, remember to be honest. Good luck!